I have used this sugar cookie dough recipe over and over! There’s a lot you can do with a great sugar cookie recipe. You can cut shapes and decorate them, use two shapes and jam to create a sugar cookie sandwich, or add make them into thumbprint cookies. An all around great recipe!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for shaping the cookies
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the egg and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the vanilla. With the mixer on low, gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated (the dough will be stiff). Shape into a disk and (unless otherwise specified in an individual recipe) refrigerate, wrapped, for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Here is the list of options for the dough from Real Simple magazine.